Monday, December 15, 2014

Faith and Science

I snicker every time I hear someone comment, "It's not rocket science." I shake my head and think, "I know it's not, because I wanted to be a rocket scientist." God possesses a marvelous sense of humor. During my junior and senior years in high school, I resolved that I would pursue a career as an astronautical engineer. After a series of decisions, I went from majoring in engineering to majoring in liberal arts. I earned an Associate's degree in liberal arts, a Bachelor's degree in Christian studies, and now I am pursuing a Master's degree in philosophy of religion. So, needless to say, I am currently bobbing around in an academic realm far from where I started.
I still love physical sciences. I am fascinated by the advancements in physics and chemistry, and puzzled by biology. This is not to say that I dislike biology because of its apparent contradictions to the beliefs that I hold. Rather, I am puzzled by biology in much the same way that I am puzzled by computer sciences. I am mesmerized by the intricacies of the cell and the functions that occur within the cell.
Even though I no longer study the physical sciences in a formal fashion, I still comprehend the importance of them. I like a man torn between two directions, as I enjoy the physical sciences as well as humanities. I think both are important and that both are needed. The physical sciences should not deem themselves capable to cover all knowledge nor should the humanities believe that they can solve all of the problems.
Since I am confessing (part of the point of this blog), I will say that I am Thomistic in my understanding of the sciences. I do not believe in a definite demarcation between what is general hailed as "science" and "non-science." Those who disagree with my previous statement will be hard-pressed to say otherwise (at this point, I would defer to Alex Rosenberg and Samir Okasha, with their respective books on philosophy of science), for the definitions will tend to be so broad that they would allow intuitive non-science items to be considered science, or they would be so narrow as to exclude genuine scientific endeavors. I think that theology, philosophy, and history are as much science as physics, astronomy, and biology. This belief rests upon the notion that truth touches all things. Therefore, truth (in the conformity sense) will be consistent with what is found in other areas, otherwise a reevaluation of the presuppositions, data, and hypothesis is required.
Christians that deem science unnecessary need to rethink what they are claiming about God. Those in the scientific community that would dismiss faith and religion need to rethink the faith that they already hold. Are you willing to deny the foundation upon which you already stand?
Alvin Plantinga, in his work Where the Conflict Really Lies, tackles the issue of faith and science. Ultimately, conflict between science and faith is possible because the two areas overlap, but faith and science will not conflict ultimately because both deal with the consistent whole of reality. Therefore, for you to be a better theologian, become more knowledgeable about scientific issues; to be a better scientist, become more knowledgeable in theology. Simply put, follow in the footsteps of William Lane Craig and John Lennox.

No comments:

Post a Comment